So Bustos is in a new ad thanking the House Majority Pac for running ads during her election last fall. You can see the ad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4JFEFqNheQ
While it's weird and somewhat disturbing that she is thanking anyone but her supporters and the voters of the 17th district, I found something even more disturbing...
On Twitter this AM:
@nathanwurtzel do they point out that her GC was married to the head of @housemajpacSo Bobby Schilling is suggesting that Bustos' campaign was being run by the spouse of House Majority PAC. I did a little research and this is what I found:
— Bobby Schilling (@reelectbobby) January 29, 2013
1. According to the Federal Election Commission, Cheri Bustos paid Ralston-Lapp Media a total of $55,782 during the 2012 election cycle.
2. Ralston-Lapp Media is run by John Lapp who served as Bustos' general consultant for the 2012 cycle. Lapp was a critical partner to Rahm Emanuel in the 2006 mid-term elections.
3. John Lapp is married to Ali Lapp.
4. Ali Lapp runs House Majority Pac, which spent almost $600,000 to get Bustos elected.
5. Further, Ralston-Lapp makes no mention of Bustos on their site. You'd think that they would be promoting the heck out of her since she was one of their only successful House races this cycle.
Was their coordination between the Bustos campaign and House Majority? Or did Ali Lapp just over hear her husband talking the phone about where they needed more ads to be played? Sounds like a "wink-wink" and "nod-nod" set up if you ask me.
I guess it's only considered "dark-money" when you don't coordinate.